Re: [O] How to elegantly and effectively quote org fragments?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] How to elegantly and effectively quote org fragments?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 00:02:07 +0200

Hello,

address@hidden writes:

> Sorry if these are easy questions -- I did spend time with the manual,
> the FAQ, the list archive, and the web.  The best I found is to use an
> org SRC block, but I do not find it satisfactory.  Plus I cannot even
> have it work properly.

You can also use a fixed-width area:

  : * a headline only for the example
  : ** a subheadline
  : text

> (1) Say I have have this in my org file (star in 1st column):
>
>       * a regular headline: writing org examples
>
>         #+BEGIN_SRC org
>               ,* a headline only for the example
>               ,** a subheadline
>               text
>         #+END_SRC
>
> Is it the best that one can do to quote some org code?  Since I use
> (org-startup-indented t), I would expect to have the corresponding
> indentation.

I'm not sure to understand. `org-indent-mode' is about virtual
indentation, not real one. So, there's no indentation to be inserted.

> Also, if not possible to avoid the escaping commas, I would like to at
> least have them for each line, not only for the headlines. So I would
> like something like this:
>
>       * a regular headline: writing org examples
>
>         #+BEGIN_SRC org
>          ,* a headline only for the example
>          ,  * a subheadline
>          ,    text
>         #+END_SRC
>
> Is (some of) this at all doable?

This is not possible. Escaping rules are explained in (info "(org)
Literal examples"), fourth footnote.

> (2) Now, if in the org edit buffer I do 'C-c C-d' (org-deadline),
> insert a DEADLINE:, and go back to my org file, the block now looks
> like:
>
>         #+BEGIN_SRC org
>               ,* a headline only for the example
>               ,** a subheadline
>               DEADLINE: <2015-05-21 Thu>
>               text
>         #+END_SRC
>
> If I do 'M-x org-agenda RET a', I get the following line in the Org
> agenda buffer:
>
>     todo:       Deadline:   a regular headline: writing org examples
>
> Is this normal?  Since the deadline is part of the block, I would
> expect no entry in the agenda; I tried to escape the DEADLINE with a
> comma, but it does not change anything.  So, is there a way to *quote*
> a DEADLINE:, i.e., without having an associated entry in the agenda?

IIRC, this bug was fixed some months ago on development version.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou