Re: [O] Bug: Table alignment [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/src/em

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Table alignment [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/org/)]
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 09:26:59 -0400

On May 6, 2015 06:57, "Rasmus" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > When I looked at the resulting html, it looked fine:
> >     <th scope="col" class="left">Math Department</th>
> > But then I checked the css code, which is given by the value of
> > `org-html-style-default' in ox-html.el:
> >
> >   th.right  { text-align: center;  }
> >   th.left   { text-align: center;   }
> >   th.center { text-align: center; }
> >   td.right  { text-align: right;  }
> >   td.left   { text-align: left;   }
> >   td.center { text-align: center; }
>
> Indeed that looks weird.  It seems to be a stylistic hack to have
> *headers* always centered.  I have no clue why.
>
> > (It's this way in emacs 24.5 and the latest development version of emacs.)
> > Easy to change locally, but am I missing something, or should
> > `org-html-style-default' have
> >
> >   th.right  { text-align: right;  }
> >   th.left   { text-align: left;   }
> >   th.center { text-align: center; }
> >   td.right  { text-align: right;  }
> >   td.left   { text-align: left;   }
> >   td.center { text-align: center; }
>
> I guess it should, but I don't know the rational for the always-centering
> of headers. . .  If we imposed that change headlines of tables with no
> instructions would no longer be centered as they default to the "left"
> class.  This could be an issue if this is a good default style...

Not use if this belongs in the same thread,  but another potential issue with the" left" and "right" classes is a namespace clash with external css frameworks which use those classes to assign float values.  I export to WordPress using a zurb foundation based css framework,  and my tables were all messed up until I figured that out.

Matt