Re: [O] Bug: Export to html fails when link to header in non existing fi

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Export to html fails when link to header in non existing file in document present
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 14:14:22 +0200

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> more info and a reproducible example:
>>
>> when exporting the following org file
>>
>> * A link to a non existent file
>>  [[file:~/NONEXISTENT.org::*SOMETHING][Link to header in non existing org
>> file]]
>
> What do you expect?
>
> Should the "::*SOMETHING"-part be discarded without warning?

Well - the ideal solution would be a warning (or error message) with a
reference to the link. At the moment, a link to a non existing file is
exported, a link to a section in a non existing produces a cryptic error
message.

At the moment, I have no clue how I can find the link.

So I would hope for

1) consistent behavior for the two cases
2) a meaningful warning which helps to find the culprit
3) an html file, where the links do not work, but the export is fine.

or, if 3) is not possible, meaningful error messages which actually help
me to track down the error (I only found out what was causing this error
accidentally)

> The internal link cannot be known without the file, as it is of the form
> orgheadlineN where N=n+1 and n is the number of headlines prior to
> "*Something"...

Sure - this is obvious.

> Though perhaps the #-construct should work, as we know the custom-id.

> * A link to a non existent file
> [[file:~/NONEXISTENT.org::#SOMETHING][Link to header in non existing org
> file]]

To fix this, I have to find the link fierst...

Cheers,

Rainer

> —Rasmus

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)