Re: [O] How to export an Org file to LaTeX's book class, but without par

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] How to export an Org file to LaTeX's book class, but without parts?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 00:50:00 +0200

On 2015-04-22, at 03:32, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is an actual question, but it can be viewed as a continuation of
>> the "why use LaTeX directly and not Org" thread (disclaimer: from the
>> POV of an experienced LaTeX user and much less experienced Org-exporter
>> user).
>>
>> So, I tried to do the opposite, just to learn something/unlock the "Org
>> Exporter" skill;-).  I want to export my Org file to the book class
>> (actually, a class similar to it, but never mind), but I want my
>> first-level headings to be chapters, not parts.  OTOH, I don't want to
>> modify org-latex-classes. Is that possible, and if yes, how to achieve
>> that?
>
> AFAIK, no, not without modifying org-latex-classes - why don't you want
> to modify it?

Because I want this setup for only one file, and not necessarily globally.

BTW, I'll probably settle with this:

,----
| #+LATEX_CLASS: mwbk
| # Local Variables:
| # org-latex-classes: (("mwbk" "\\documentclass[11pt]{mwbk}" ("\\chapter{%s}"
. "\\chapter*{%s}") ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))
| # End:
`----

Seems to do the trick (mwbk is a Polish-localized - or rather, European
- version of the book class).  The drawback is that it keeps asking for
confirmation that it is safe.  It seems that there is no option to mark
a /variable/ and not a /variable-value pair/ as "safe" as file local
variables - I guess I'll file an Emacs feature request for that.

> Nick

Thanks to all, and best regards!

--
Marcin Borkowski