Re: [O] Sparse tree for undated TODOs, or hierachical agenda?

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: Re: [O] Sparse tree for undated TODOs, or hierachical agenda?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:35:12 -0700

On Apr 21 2015, address@hidden (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) wrote:
> Hi, Nikolaus.
>
> Nikolaus Rath writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm starting to like orgmode more and more. Thanks for working
>> on this!
>>
>> However, for me the global todo list in the Agenda very hard to
>> digest (even when excluding sublevels), so I'd rather have a
>> view that conserves the document structure.
>
> If you want to restrict to your current document before building
> the agenda use '<', so if 'C-c a' calls your agenda (suggested org
> key), then you can do 'C-c a < a' to get the agenda restricted to
> the buffer that you are in.

Well, yes, but that still throws away all the headings. E.g.

* Task 1
** TODO Do A
** Other stuff
* Task 2
** TODO Do B
** TODO Do C
   SCHEDULED: <2015-05-31 Sun>

becomes (after C-c a t):

* TODO Do A
* TODO Do B

What I would like to get is

* Task 1
** TODO Do A
* Task 2
** TODO Do B

>> Is there a way to create a sparse tree that shows only undated
>> TODOs (i.e., excludes anything that scheduled or has a
>> deadline)?
>
> I do not know what you mean by sparse tree,

The sparse tree is what you get with C-c \ t (org-sparse-tree). For the
above example, you get:

* Task 1
** TODO Do A
* Task 2
** TODO Do B
** TODO Do C
   SCHEDULED: <2015-05-31 Sun>

so the structure is conserved like I want, but even with..

> but this excludes
> anything scheduled or with a deadline from the global todo list:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'all)
>   (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'all)
> #+END_SRC

.. the scheduled items are still included (because the todo-* settings
apply only to the Agenda view, not the sparse tree view).

Best,
-Nikolaus