Re: [O] Resume: Squeezing lines tighter in LaTeX output?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Resume: Squeezing lines tighter in LaTeX output?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:13:56 -0500

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to get a single .org file I can use to general PDF, HTML or even
> (gasp!) Word format versions of my resume. The problem I'm having now is
> that the PDF is 7 pages, compared with the 4 pages I get from my directly
> editing LaTeX file. One big difference is that individual jobs, titles, etc.
> are in a separate left column in the LaTeX version, while they're just
> subheaders and subsubheaders in the org version. I think this will be easier
> for on-line resume upload systems to parse correctly.
>
> Beyond that, though, the org output has lots of white space. While it looks
> beautiful, I'd like to squeeze together:
>  1) the headers, subheaders, etc.
>  2) The items in a bullet list
>  3) Lists and surrounding paragraphs.

Everything you'll do in Org will simply involve passing the right
parameters to LaTeX via Org. In other words, you should start by
finding out how to do what you want to do in LaTeX; for example google
"how to change line spacing latex" and peruse the top result:
- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Paragraph_Formatting

Then pick something that does one of the above, and add it to Org.
Most likely these options will be passed using:

#+latex: \command{foo} %%% this is just in-lining some latex command
somewhere in the document

#+latex_header: \usepackage[foo]{bar} %%% this is loading some
package, e.g. enumitem, and passing options

#+attr_latex: :foo bar %%% this would go above a table or picture to
set attributes for that particular element

Sorry to not be more specific... Org is just a middle-man to tell
LaTeX what to do, so there's really not "Org-specific" syntax for
changing your spacing. It's LaTeX syntax that can be inserted via
methods like the above, which will then get interpreted when you
compile/export.

That said, this is the setupfile I use for all my LaTeX exports. I'll
tweak individual files here and there to adjust various things, but
for the most part I've been happy with how this looks for reports, and
think it removes some of the white space issue.

#+latex_header: \usepackage[hmargin=2.5cm,vmargin=2.5cm]{geometry}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{mathpazo} \usepackage{paralist}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{enumitem}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{amsmath}
#+latex_header: \setlength{\parskip}{0.5cm} \setlength{\parindent}{0cm}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{lscape}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{booktabs}
#+latex_header: \hypersetup{colorlinks=true,linkcolor=blue,urlcolor=blue}

Definitely look at paralist and enumitem for tweaking spacing as a
starting point.

Hope that helps.
John