Re: [O] Could org-mode use `completing-read-function' instead of `org-ic

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Could org-mode use `completing-read-function' instead of `org-icompleting-read'?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:47:07 +0200

Hi,

Oleh Krehel <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't know how to use helm of ivy.  But I think the attached patch is
>> better.  Would that work with helm and ivy?
>
> I could live with it, but basically `org-completion-use-ido` says "I
> don't care if you've temporarily disabled `ido-mode' or not, I'll use
> ido anyway". This isn't a good approach, especially considering that
> `ido-mode' is already a convenient minor mode.
> Maybe `org-completion-use-ido' should be completely removed, and ido
> completion
> should be used automatically when `ido-mode' is on.

Ideally it should just depend on the whatever default functions set.
E.g. for me read-file-name-function => ido-read-file-name on my system.

Perhaps org-completion-use-ido can be made obsolete and just read
ido-everywhere.

Oleh Krehel <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I don't know how to use helm of ivy.  But I think the attached patch is
>>> better.  Would that work with helm and ivy?
>
> Yes, both work fine.
>
>> I could live with it, but basically `org-completion-use-ido` says "I
>> don't care if you've temporarily disabled `ido-mode' or not, I'll use
>> ido anyway". This isn't a good approach, especially considering that
>> `ido-mode' is already a convenient minor mode.
>> Maybe `org-completion-use-ido' should be completely removed, and ido
>> completion
>> should be used automatically when `ido-mode' is on.
>
> Oops, just noticed that `ido-mode' is actually in the condition.
> All is fine then.
>
> Except that iswitchb is obsolete. Should we remove it?

The target release of Org 8.3 is something like Emacs23 (or maybe 24.3?).
In either case we can't obsolete it until 8.4 since iswitchb is obsolete
from 24.4...

—Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs