Re: [O] Define Keyboard Shortcut for "Open in Emacs"

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: [O] Define Keyboard Shortcut for "Open in Emacs"
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 06:59:51 +0200

Hello Jorge,

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <address@hidden> writes:

> Xavier Maillard writes:
>
>> What is emacsclient.desktop exactly ? On my slackware, there is
>> nothing named like this.
>
> Inside a desktop environment (e.g. GNOME, KDE, Xfce), xdg-open
> passes the arguments to that desktop environment's file-opener
> application (gvfs-open, kde-open, or exo-open, respectively).
> When no desktop environment is detected (e.g. using Openbox),
> xdg-open will use its own configuration files, emacsclient.desktop
> is the call to the emacs server, if you do not use the server you
> could use emacs.desktop instead.

Thank you very much for these clarifications. Should I expect
anything from xdg-* when not using a desktop environment at all ? (I
am using something home-brewed where I could add support for
something like this but that's not for now).

Also, can you share an emacsclient.desktop file ?

Regards
-- Xavier.