Re: [O] Performance of table computing

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Performance of table computing
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:58:26 +0200

Jacob Nielsen wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> In one of my Org files, I have 20 small tables. Among them, 11 have
>> a line of formula's (TBLFM), mainly for computing a total (sum), so
>> that's in essence relatively standard and simple.
>
> Try this:
> # -*- cache-long-scans: nil; -*-
> # This makes forward-line much faster and thus org-goto-line and
> # thus org-table-sum (C-c +)
>
> My org file is 9990 lines and I just do weekly summations on small
> tables used for invoices. The performance was driving my crazy but
> setting cache-long-scans to nil has made me happy again.

Euh... It went down (no suspense anymore) from:

__Re-applied formulas to all tables (in 33.32 s)___________________________

to:

__Re-applied formulas to all tables (in 0.21 s)___________________________

Well, that's an HUGE improvement!  I couldn't believe my eyes...

I'll let-bind this variable in my above function, so that I don't have
to hardcode this anywhere...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
  Seb