Re: [O] [ox, patch] #+SUBTITLE

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [ox, patch] #+SUBTITLE
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:18:38 +0200

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> So I would keep them.  The documentation explicitly states which backend
>>> these keywords are supported by.
>>
>> OK. Then DESCRIPTION and KEYWORD stay in "ox.el", and documented in
>> "Export settings". You need to revert your patch about it.
>
> I thought we were just discussing criteria for being at a particular spot
> in the manual, not in the code.

As I explained, both are linked:

  - Anything defined in "ox.el" is documented in "Export settings" ;
  - Anything defined in "ox-backend.el" is documented in "Backend
    export".

This is a hard rule. Even if it means repeating documentation in three
different places, some back-end might use differently the same keyword
than others.

For the record, if the situation ever rises again, I think that
a keyword can be added to "ox.el" only if

  - it is supported at least in every major back-end (ASCII, HTML,
    LaTeX, ODT and Texinfo)
  - it comes with a toggle in the OPTIONS line e.g. keyword:nil

Even when these criteria are met, this move shouldn't be taken lightly
as it implies all back-ends should try hard to support it.

Again, keywords in this category are to be documented in

  (info "(org)Export settings").

> So should I also move the SUBTITLE to ox.el or keep it in files?  I think
> it's OK to just define it in the files where it makes sense...

SUBTITLE, DESCRIPTION and KEYWORDS can be defined in the libraries where
they are used. Only the documentation needs to be adapted, per above.

Sorry for the confusion.

>> We will have to take care about support for missing back-ends. E.g.,
>> ASCII could treat DESCRIPTION as a quote box just below title.
>
> Would that not be an abstract?  I'm not sure I think description should be
> handled like that.

Forget about it. I'm not sure DESCRIPTION should be handled at all in
ASCII back-end.

Regards,