Re: [O] [proposal] better documentation around syntax highlighting Org-M

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [proposal] better documentation around syntax highlighting Org-Mode code blocks when exporting to LaTeX
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:02:47 +0100

Hello,

Randomcoder <address@hidden> writes:

> While writing technical documents, as a programmer and an Org-Mode user,
> for me it's important to have ways to syntax highlight code blocks when
> exporting them to LaTeX.
>
> While I am aware of the customizations that need to be done
> to Org-Mode's configuration in order to get that to work, in
> particular customizing these variables(see [1] for details):
>
> * org-latex-listings
> * org-latex-custom-lang-environments
> * org-latex-minted-options

Did you read `org-latex-listings' docstring? If so, what do you think is
missing or not clear enough?

> and having tried them, I got this working for one document, but it
> really felt like a lot of trial-and-error and a lot of room for error
> on my side as a user.
>
> Although this is Org-Mode and it is supposed to be very customizable
> (like Emacs is), I still believe the documentation and the implementation
> can be improved on this.

What do you suggest, concretely?

> I think there's even reason to believe that this should be working out
> of the box.

I think the default value is right. Any other value requires the user
additional steps (requiring "listings" package or even adding pygments
as a dependency)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou