Re: [O] [ox, patch] Keywords & what should go in ox?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [ox, patch] Keywords & what should go in ox?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 09:28:05 +0100

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> First, as discussed a while back we want to move DESCRIPTION and KEYWORDS
> out of ox.el as they are specific to certain backends.  The first patch
> does this.

Thanks.

You can remove the keywords from "ox-org.el" and "ox-ascii.el", as they
do not use them. You need to update (info "(org)Publishing options")
accordingly, too.

> Second, I want to add support for printing keywords.  This patch is still
> rough (i.e. no need commenting), but before proceeding I want to discuss
> some things.  The goal is to allow cool stuff like:
>
>    #+begin_abstract
>      Read my paper, please...
>      #+keywords: org, markup
>    #+end_abstract
>
> And eventually:
>
>    #+tile: my fancy blog
>    #+keywords: org, markup
>
> Where 'org' and 'markup' would magically become links to indexes (like on
> them fancy blogs on the interwebs).  I'm still not sure how to do the
> latter (see TODO comment in patch).

I fail to see how it is "cool". KEYWORDS are meant to add contents to
meta-data, i.e., an area you cannot reach easily with regular Org
syntax. As a consequence, KEYWORDS doesn't mean much for back-ends not
supporting such meta-data.

If KEYWORDS are meant to be inserted in the buffer, then write them
using regular syntax, e.g.,

  #+begin_abstract
  Read my paper, please...

  Keywords-in-my-language: [[http://link-to-tag-cloud][org]]
  #+end_abstract

We don't need a convoluted markup for that, let's keep it simple.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou