Re: [O] Why don't datetrees use timestamps?

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [O] Why don't datetrees use timestamps?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:56:08 +0000

On 16 March 2015 at 16:52, Subhan Michael Tindall <address@hidden> wrote:

You can use a custom capture template and have timestamps of various sorts inserted.

For example, I have one datetree I use that inserts a date/time stamp using %T (%t gives only date, not time)

See the documentation for capture (hit C-c C C  to get into the customize interface then scroll down)

​ My question was about the datetree entry headings of the form "2015-03-16 Monday". These aren't controlled by the template. I was interested to know why these headings look very much like timestamps (and effectively are timestamps, though at the top level they mention just a year and at the second level just a year and a month), but aren't actual timestamps.

Eric Fraga said "I don't think it would make sense for the headlines in the date-tree to have time stamps"; but my question is not why they don't have time stamps, but why they ARE not time stamps (purely in the formal sense: the information they contain is already effectively a time stamp, as far as I can see).

I was hoping to discover the rationale for the design from a developer :)