Re: [O] Only showing part of a list

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Only showing part of a list
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:37:47 -0400

>> It sounds like this would be a good case for subheadings, to break up
>> the long check list.
>>

> ​Then I get something like:
>     * Actions [0/5]
>       - [ ] First action
>       - [ ] Second action
>       - [ ] Third action
>       - [ ] Fourth action
>       - [ ] Fifth Action
>       - Next actions [0/25]
>         - [ ] Sixth action
>           .
>           .
>           .
>         - [ ] Thirtieth action

I mean something like
* actions [/]
** set 1 [/]
- [ ] first
- [ ] second
- [ ] third
** set 2 [/]
- [ ] first
- [ ] second
- [ ] third

etc...

I don't know what you are doing, but it is not too often there are
actually 30 actions that cannot be subdivided in my experience. I did
have one use case like this for a list of assignments to grade in a
class of 59 students though.

You can probably do something with invisible text
(http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/02/06/Invisible-text-in-emacs/)
where you sort your list to move checked items to the end, and then use
an overlay to make the checked entries invisible, and maybe anything
past the 5th list element.

Thinking about your workflow, it also seems you really want some agenda
like behavior, so that you dynamically see a small number of unchecked
items you can interact with.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F