Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:18:13 -0700

Hello Aaron,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Terry,
>
> 2015ko martxoak 10an, "T.F. Torrey"-ek idatzi zuen:
>
>> Of the things in your list, I think only the NEWS and Changelog are
>> absent from the master branch in git.  Lots of us happily use Org master
>> from git without them every day.  Do they really need to be done at
>> all?
>
> Many people are very happy not using org at all.  Perhaps we should just
> all quit and find other hobbies.  OTOH, release milestones are important
> to the health of a software project and so yes, really need to be done.

You seem to be arguing with a point I wasn't making.  Release milestones
are fine, but the current plan for doing them is too much work for the
people involved.  Couldn't a simpler way work?

>> If Emacs 25 is taking Org out of core, does the code still have to be
>> merged into the trunk?
>
> This is not on the table.  Rather, the (tentative) proposal from the
> emacs side is for some packages to be developed in the GNU ELPA
> repository, and be extracted from there and bundled with emacs release
> tarballs (in addition to being released in ELPA).
>
> Org is sometimes cited as an example of a package that would benefit from
> this strategy, but there has been no discussion of this from the org
> side, and AFAIK no decision has been made whether we’d take advantage of
> this facility if/when it’s available.

Interesting.

> Exposing new users to the vagaries of the master branch may rather lead
> to atheism.

This sounds like the foot-shooting argument again.  Could one not just
as easily harm one's foot with the master version from git?  Or is the
assumption that only git users are smart enough to wield the power?
Maybe Org is so powerful that it should not be released via by ELPA at
all, for the sake of everyone's appendages.

All the best,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey