Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:04:24 -1000

Aloha Aaron,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> I have made citeproc-java give output like:
>
> Smith////2014
> Doe////1999
> Smith et al.////2005
>
> I parse that into lists of (author, year) pairs by splitting on the
> ////.  Then I expose a template to elisp: “%p%a (%y%s)” (for prefix,
> author, year, and suffix).  This template could be changed however it is
> desired by a user: using square brackets instead of round parens, for
> example.  I think people will likely want to customize things like this,
> and it seems difficult to get such flexibility from CSL.

The CSL web page says:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| While CSL styles only define complete citations, e.g. “(Doe, 2002)”, the
| word processor plugins of Zotero, Mendeley, and Papers all allow you to
| suppress the author(s) in individual citations, which would leave you
| with just “(2002)”. You then have to write the author’s name by hand.
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, your implementation seems to be ahead in this respect.

I'd expect the author would want to have a list of templates for each
author-date CSL style, one for parenthetical citations, one for text
citations, another for genitive citations, etc.  It might even be nice
down the road to have a place where these could be stored and shared.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye