Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:24:52 -0700

Hello,

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

>> As Grant pointed out, it’s a lot more convenient working inside Emacs
>> for switching between versions and such.
>
> How do you switch between versions in ELPA?  IIUC, you only get the
> latest version, and if that one is not right, you're kind of stuck: you
> can't reinstall the previous version via the interface. Or maybe I have
> to learn something new?

Only one version per package name is allowed, so with everything in one
archive it won't currently work.

However, with smaller archives each holding one version, it becomes
possible.

For instance, to get the latest package of the main version of Org,
enable the Orgmode.org/elpa archive.  To go back to the slightly older,
perhaps more stable version in the GNU archive, remove the
Orgmode.org/elpa archive from your archive configuration, uninstall Org,
then reinstall it, and you will get the version from the GNU archive,
which will now be the latest one the packages system can find.

It's kind of a hack, sure, but until the package system is upgraded to
handle dependence on multiple versions of the same package, it works.
It would probably be inconvenient to do this for every package, but I
don't mind doing it for major packages like Org.

HTH,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey