Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:09:35 -0800

Hi Vaidheeswaran,

Vaidheeswaran C <address@hidden> writes:

> The following combination works when passed through the LaTeX/PDF
> exporter.  It doesn't work when the cite syntax is switched to the new
> one.
>
> \cite{center_for_history_and_new_media_zotero_????}

Is that a realistic example of a key?  What program is generating it?
JabRef?

I am not too worried about this case.  I am guessing that the four "?"s
at the end are inserted because the generating program wasn't sure how
to encode some characters.  I think the right thing to do in edge cases
like this is instruct the user that the key is invalid (at least from
Org's perspective) and they should change it.  If key-ending punctuation
turns out to be common, I would revise this opinion, but at the moment I
don't see the need.

I do not think we should allow punctuation at the end of keys, because
that will make it too hard to write in-text citations at the end of a
clause, like: "For more, see @Doe99." or "Can we replicate the results
of @Doe99?" or "The following cases have been documented in @Doe99: ..."

Best,
Richard