Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 09:13:53 -0800

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Another tangentially related issue is what does (org-element-context)
> return when point is in a multi-citation.  It would be nice if it
> returned the citation daughter, rather than the wrapping citations
> element.  This would make implementing goto-citation-at-point very
> easy.

This is an important issue that I think requires more thought.

I can see two ways of going here:

1) Introduce individual references (really, probably just keys) as
first-class objects, which are contained by citation objects.

2) Keep individual references/keys as properties of citation objects,
but store :begin/:end properties individually for them.

I don't really have an informed opinion here, but the second option
seems simpler to me, since it doesn't involve a new class of object (and
therefore doesn't require distinguishing a key-within-a-citation from a
key-which-is-a-citation, as in the `shortcut' syntax).

With the second option, given a (multi-)citation object and a position,
it is still pretty easy to tell which individual reference the position
is in, so it is still pretty easy to implement goto-citation-at-point.

Best,
Richard