Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 21:35:44 +0100

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

> That would be wonderful!  Will you publish a patch or, better, a branch
> somewhere, even if it's not ready for master?

I created a new branch: "wip-cite". It introduces support for @key
address@hidden [cite:pre @key post] and [(cite):pre @key post] constructs.

As a reminder, I prefer subkeys over plists because they have a smaller
footprint in the document. Also, as already explained, having many
subkeys is not a problem with proper tooling (e.g., some completion with
descriptions). Note that this is closer to "org-ref" requirements,
probably making easier to port some features into core.

However, opinion from advanced citation users on this ML has more weight
that mine. Instead of trying to figure out hypothetical crazy uses for
citations (e.g., using 50 different citation commands), I'd rather hear
from people with real citation requirements who are willing to use this
machinery.

At this point, we probably need to implement a BIBLIOGRAPHY keyword
(files) and BIBLIOGRAPHY_BACKEND (bibtex, zotero, jabref...) and provide
basic tools to handle citations in an Org document.

Regards,