Re: [O] Citation syntax and ODT

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax and ODT
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:22:50 +0530

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 08:56 AM, Alexis wrote:
For examle, one might have a citation style like:

[Smith 2001]

which in certain contexts is expected to have a presentation style of
'bolded'.

So what i understand Vaidheeswaran to be asking is: Please don't code
things such that presentation style is /necessarily/ carried along with
citation style. Make it so that exporting a document faithfully
reproduces the citation style in the target format, but don't /force/
the presentation style used in the source format for citation style to
be the presentation style used in the destination format.

Vaidheeswaran, is that correct?

That is the sense in which I used the word 'style'.

I also used 'style' in the sense of the relative order or form
(abbreviated or not) of how the fields from citation database entry
gets presented.

I also used 'style' in the sense of Chicago, APA etc.

When Richard uses 'formatting' he really means how pre and post notes
should be injected in to the inline expansion of a citation reference
(in the body text) so that a reader's experience is uneven due to
jarring parenthetical marks.

Even though we use terms differently, (I think) I have a feel for what
the 'big' discussion is about.

May be the citation spec, should come with a glossary of of terms that
defines the sense in which those need to be understood/interpreted :-P