Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:33:59 -0700

hi rasmus,

On 2/20/15, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think everybody is thinking along the lines, but some people want to not
> have another link-morass :) In particular, I think we are trying hard to
> avoid this situation:
>
>     i just think the syntax we design should, if possible, be so general
>     that it can be used for future features, *including 100% unrelated
>     features*, and also for future subfeatures of any feature, including
>     citations.

this means that we are not thinking along the same lines.

what i am describing is what i described years ago in several posts.
it was mentioned recently [and on john's blog], then discussion went
back to citation-specific syntax.

> These days, my impression is that Org developers like to have [fn:·]
> always be of a footnote type and *bold* always be of bold type.

i am not proposing hijacking existing syntax; i am proposing the
opposite.  i am proposing a single, new, unambiguous syntax.  e.g.

  $[feature args... :key value ...]

for more than just "the feature we need today".  i don't care about
the details of the outer syntax.  and i misspoke when i said plist.  i
meant specifiable via a lambda list.

for today's feature, that can mean e.g.

  $[cite blah :blah2 blah3]

if you want to keep the mnemonic, that's fine too:

  $[(Cite) blah ...]

but suppose we want, oh, say, backend-independent color in 5 years:

  $[color-start "red"]red$[color-end "red"]

[i am just making this up as i go along to give you the general idea.]

notice how we did not need to invent new syntax!

>> to me, that means plist or similar.
>
> A lambda (that is a cite-subtype) is ∞ more customizable than a plist.

i don't think i'd favor anything that must eval.  security issues,
among other things.

> A generalization of, say macros and link which look like [FUN: :key value]
> or [FUN: arg]{:key value} may be appropriate, but it's something
> different from the discussion at hand.

i'm not sure i am explaining my point well here.

samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.