Re: [O] [RFC] Simplify `org-show-context' configuration

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Simplify `org-show-context' configuration
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:41:31 +0100

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> it would be good to also have semi-canonical [i.e.
> canonical-without-ancestor-body-text], where ancestor nodes do not
> show body text.  text can obscure structure.  i use this view for
> blogs.  otherwise i'd have to make fake headlines just to hide text.

I don't understand. Body text is not shown in ancestors. Considering the
following buffer:

    * Grandmother
    ** Uncle
    *** Heir
    ** Father
       Ancestor text
    *** Sister
        Sibling text
    *** Self
        Match
    **** First born
         Child text
    **** The other child
    *** Brother
    ** Aunt

`canonical' view is

    * Grandmother
    ** Uncle
    ** Father
    *** Sister
    *** Self
        Match
    **** First born
    **** The other child
    *** Brother
    ** Aunt

> does full show the entry below the headline that point is on?  i
> wouldn't use this view if it is not canonical [i.e. does not show
> children also].

`full', as its name suggests, shows complete subtree: all children and
their contents.

> do we presume that the entire buffer's visibility is changed for
> showing context, or are things that already shown left showing?

`canonical' change visibilty in subtree, so some parts of it could be
hidden in the process. Other views only augment current visibility.

Regards,