Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 15:49:44 -0500

I guess this looks workable. The syntax is generally more verbose than I
am accustomed to, and less explicit in my (latex centric) opinion. But,
the majority of our citations would be the simplest form, which is maybe
even shorter.  It looks like the citation insertion could be practically
automated, e.g. a command with a convenient key-binding looks up
references in some database, selects them, and then inserts them as
properly formatted citations at point. I think the usual suspects
reftex, helm-bibtex, and probably ebib could be taught to output most of
this syntax for whatever type, and they could give human readable hints
about the intended format, e.g. intext, parenthetical, noauthor,
etc... Or you could have dedicated commands with key completion to do
that. So many options, this should not be an issue.

Presumably each &/@key will be clickable like a link, and the function
it runs would get the key (and maybe additional info about the cite)? If
not, that would be a show-stopper to me. Not because of any syntax
reason, but a functional one. Right now every link-based citation is a
one click gateway to every scientific search engine I know, the pdf, the
bibtex entry, functions that copy citations, summarize citations, email
citations, etc... for the key that was clicked on. That is too useful to
give up for any syntax. But if each key was clickable, to a
user-definable, or default function (which might even be nothing), then
no problem. Probably the user should have to define this function, since
a key is no good without getting information about where the database is
from somewhere (e.g. a variable or in the file). I gather we are split
between bibtex, org-bibtex, and zotero as backends, and maybe there are
others (RIS, Mendeley, ...). Maybe one day there is good support for all
of them. I have tried them all, and for 15+ years, I keep coming back to
bibtex ;)

I am a little concerned about what the latex export will eventually look
like. Out of the box, I suppose a handful of types will be pretty well
supported, something like: (cite, citet, citep, citeauthor, citeyear,
citenum) which I suspect would cover many people's needs. There is no
question in my mind that some people will want to extend this, as there
are just too few of the latex citation commands supported out of the
box, especially for biblatex users (who used that because of limitations
in bibtex ;). My sense is the syntax may then be too verbose, and
difficult to write exporters for and they would go back to links. That
is probably a small number of people, and maybe I am wrong about it. I
am anyway supportive enough to see it tried out.

My final comment is that I suggest two additional things to go with this
syntax:

[bibliographystyle: some-kind-of-information-probably-unsrt/alpha/chicago]
This would tell some backend how to style the bibliography entries. This
does not need to be clickable (I don't know what a click would do
anyway, at most select the style? edit the style?).

[bibliography: @some-kind-of-source-probably-a-file; @maybe-more-than-one]
This is where the keys are stored. And, it would also indicate where the
bibliography should actually be placed. This should also be clickable,
with a default action to just open the file that was clicked on.

I prefer those to file attributes, e.g.
#+BIBLIOGRAPHY: @some-kind-of-source-probably-a-file;
@maybe-more-than-one

I don't think that can be used to specify where a bibliography should be
placed, and it doesn't make sense to me to use two things to specify the
same information.

Each of these would need customizable export.

I am pretty sure those are backend independent (even though I took the
names straight from LaTeX ;). With Endnote/Word for example you have to
choose a bibliography and style.

So, overall, I am on the positive side of zero.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F