Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 09:43:15 -1000

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.  I had indeed misunderstood the bit
about not being able to export in future versions of Org mode.  Thanks
for the clarification.

However, I'm still 0 because our goals are different.

I want a syntax that recognizes arbitrary citation commands because I
write in Org mode for publication.  You want a syntax that recognizes a
few commands that it might be possible to support in Org mode backends,
some of which are tied loosely, if at all, to publication.  Yours might
be a noble goal that many Org mode users will find useful (I hope it
is!), but I don't think it is (or will be) a syntax useful in my work,
for the following reasons:

1) It is easier for me to have the citation command in one place.  The
decision to represent selected aspects of the citation command in the
syntax and other parts in extensions means that I'd have to learn the
syntax and then remember which aspects were chosen for representation
and which I'd need to develop through extensions of my own.  This is a
lot more work than I do now to get exactly what I want through links.
I'm keen to simplify the authoring process, not make it more complex.

2) Treating footnote citations differently from author-date citations is
a non-starter for me.  When Science turns me away and the editor
suggests that my rant is well suited for another journal, one that
happens to use author-date citations, I'll just search all my citation
links and replace footcite with parencite before exporting the rant to
the suggested journal.  IIUC, with the official Org mode syntax, I'd be
faced with the tedious process of cutting and pasting footnote text back
into the document body.

Also, I'm 0 because there is no need to satisfy me with the official
citation syntax.  I'm able to achieve my goals fully in Org mode without
it.

All the best,
Tom

--