Re: [O] markup text with leading, trailing spaces

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [O] markup text with leading, trailing spaces
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:19:24 +0000

Even if you want to run commands in a different computer you can do that with "C-c C-c" thanks to the ":dir folder" header argument and tramp.

As an example, suppose I have the code block below

#+begin_src sh
  hostname
#+end_src

If I run it I get something like

#+RESULTS:
: my_computer_name

However, if if I can ssh to a server called "myserver" I can change the code block to

#+begin_src sh :dir /myserver:~/
  hostname
#+end_src

Now if I run the code block the code is executed in myserver and I get

#+RESULTS:
: myserver_host_name

Combine this with "C-c C-v b" (org-babel-execute-buffer) and you can easily run many different commands in different machines. It is really great.

Em Sat Feb 14 2015 at 01:09:02, hymie! <address@hidden> escreveu:

  address@hidden (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo), who said:
>hymie! writes:
>
>> I'd like to be able to have a series of commands in my raw org
>> file that I can copy-n-paste into my shell window.  But I also
>> like to export my org files to HTML so that I can make ePubs and
>> keep them in my iPad.
>
>> And this
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC
>>   command1
>>   command2
>>   command3
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> is just IMO ugly.
>
>It shouldn't be. Try adding the word "shell" after BEGIN_SRC, so
>that it fontifies the code correctly (the variable
>org-src-fontify-natively should be set to t, but that has been
>default for a while)

It's not that the font is ugly.  It's that
* (in the epub) the source code appears in a box
* (in the html/epub) it's impossible to tell the difference between two
different commands and a single command that was too long and word wrapped
to fit in the box
* (in the html/epub) I can't have non-monospace comments between/attached
to/within the code without drawing four or five separate boxes around my code
* (in the org file) For whatever reason, monospace code appears as a
light-gray font, which is hard to read against a white background.  I'm
sure that can be changed, but I haven't had time to figure it out yet.

>Also, add shell to the loaded babel
>languages, so that you can execute the code and get the results
>right away in org:
>
>No need for "copy-n-paste", just do C-c C-c where you have your
>commands.

I think you are making the incorrect assumption that the machine on
which I maintain my Org files is the same machine that I wish to execute
commands on.

>Try copying this example into an org file, it should fontify it
>nicely, both in the org file and in the html exported.

If my commnds were all 8 characters long or less, it would be fine.
Some of my commands look like this:

adduser username -d /data/chroot/home/username -s /usr/bin/rssh -m -k /dev/null -g rssh

useradd -U -G wheel -p '$6$wcMRrkcdGeNHLT5c$0s4qezb00ISmGZSsILOyV/WJn3RnuZPkSEknwoSZ22HvbgkBTe4TQwCz/mpG.3zby.1Jwnmtsq1B.uCbyg5l./' username

pssh -x '-q -t -t' -I -i --hosts hosts_linux_rhel6 'sudo -S wget puppet/puppet/pub/system_patch.pl -O /usr/local/bin/system_patch.pl' < hostnamefile

While I admit that the "useradd" command is an extreme example,
this becomes horribly ambiguous:

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden