Re: [O] Automatically entering org blocks?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Automatically entering org blocks?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 07:02:22 -0800

This seems to do what you want on text in a region. It is not too well
tested though!

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun wrap-text-in-org-block (start end)
  (interactive "r")
  (goto-char end)
  (insert "\n#+END_QUOTE\n")
  (goto-char start)
  (insert "\n#+BEGIN_QUOTE:\n"))
#+END_SRC

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> address@hidden (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>
>> Is there a command for automatically entering org blocks (such as for
>> quotes or src), the same way there's a command for inserting drawers?
>> I'm sure there must be, but I've searched the "block" and "insert"
>> command lists and don't see anything that seems promising.
>>
>> #+BEGIN_QUOTE
>> Deeply insightful quotation!
>> #+END_QUOTE
>>
>> I'm sure I'm missing something; it's a pain to have to manually begin
>> and close these things every time. I guess I'm getting spoiled by so
>> much of the org mode goodness that makes things easier.
>
> Yes! Start with a "<" on the left-hand margin, then enter a key letter,
> then TAB to expand. Your quote above would start with a "<q", then TAB
> to expand. See the "Easy Templates" section of the manual for details.
>
> What you can't do is take existing text and wrap it in a block. (Prove
> me wrong, someone!)

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering