Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 07:59:46 -0800

Erik Hetzner <address@hidden> writes:

>> The ideal would be if citeproc would take care of proper formatting
>> of all such citation types, given just an ordered list of the fields
>> that should appear.  I don't know if CSL supports this, though; do
>> you?
>
> I’m not entirely sure what you mean. The authors of citeproc have come
> up with a huge number of styles which seem to satisfy people’s needs.
> What appears in the in-text citation is configurable, see:
>

> http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification-csl101-20120903.html#citation

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  What I mean is, is there a way to tell an
implementation of CSL "hey, this particular citation right here should
only contain the author (or year, or journal...) of the referenced work,
even though the citation style for this document is (e.g.) numeric?"

The link you referenced makes it seem like the <citation> element
describes how citations should be formatted for a whole document, but
maybe I don't understand it.  (Can there be multiple citation formatting
styles specified by a CSL stylesheet? or multiple stylesheets used to
format the citations in a document?)

The idea is, a citation like "As Doe says in @Doe99:title, ..." should
render like "As Doe says in /The Title/, ...", not like "As Doe says in
Doe (1999), ...", even if "@Doe99" citations in the document generally
render like the latter.  I suspect this must be possible with
citeproc/CSL, but I don't actually know, since Pandoc doesn't provide
syntax for this kind of case.

Best,
Richard