Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 08:27:07 -0800

Hi Eric and all,

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday,  3 Feb 2015 at 11:35, Rasmus wrote:

> I'm enjoying following this thread.  I look forward to the community
> converging on some solution.

Me too!

> For me, any solution will likely do just fine as my use of citations is
> quite straightforward.  I seldom, if ever, have pre or post text but I
> do use a couple of alternative citation types (author, year; year only).

Just to clarify: these are only `alternative' citation types if you're
not using a citation style where they are the default types, like
Chicago, right?  I assume you are using a numeric style, like ACM?

(This raises an interesting question, actually: what does the Pandoc
syntax do with author suppression for numeric citation styles?  Does
address@hidden still output the year, or does it produce the same numeric
reference as address@hidden)

> I have only one suggestion to keep in mind:

>>> I guess I would suggest the same thing as happens in LaTeX: you get a
>>> nice, bold "??" in the output where the missing data should be.
>>
>> Or better, throw an error.
>
> A *warning* would be better than an error, i.e. something that does
> indicate a problem but that doesn't stop the export completing.  LaTeX
> does this (as noted above).

Agreed.  Something easily greppable, but not process-stopping.

> Interestingly, I have just had a paper accepted for publication which
> was written *entirely* in org.  I used the [[cite:fraga-etal-2014]]
> approach for handling citations.  The paper made significant use of
> babel to have everything in one place (data, code, results).  Very
> pleasing and painless experience.  I did have to resort to LaTeX
> specific commands a few times but mostly for the preamble (title,
> authors, etc.).

Cool!

Best,
Richard