Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 15:17:34 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> You and others are advocating a separate syntax for links and citations,
> which might indeed be the way to go.  I can see it being much nicer than
> the current state of affairs with Org mode links.  The downside is that
> it will mean learning another set of rules, in addition to the existing
> rules for links.

So we bump the version number?  The [[cite:key]] would not stop working.

> Several years ago, Samuel Wales suggested an extensible syntax example
> using link features
> (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg00404.html).
> At the time it seemed to me that this was a Lisp-y approach because it
> solved particular problems by generalizing or abstracting a language
> feature to include particulars that had previously fallen outside its
> ken.  I wanted something like this while I was working on implementing
> citation links for export to LaTeX.
>
> Would it be feasible to generalize Org mode's link syntax, or make it
> extensible, so the overlap of link with citation is complete?

I like :key entry-links and it would be powerful.  Certain like types
would also need to support custom display functions.  You could then
implement a cite-operator '@' as a handler for a generalized link.

—Rasmus

--
Governments should be afraid of their people