Re: [O] idempotency and inconsistency for org-babel-remove-inline-result

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] idempotency and inconsistency for org-babel-remove-inline-result
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:13:45 -0800

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Daniele Pizzolli wrote:

Hello,

I really like the new inline results.  Thanks for this new cool feature.
I have only a few problems with it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there a way to evaluate a buffer an then remove inline results or
better, to get the very same buffer after:

(org-babel-execute-buffer)
(org-babel-map-inline-src-blocks nil (org-babel-remove-inline-result))

Every call add an extra white space:

Original:

1 + 4 in R is src_R[:exports results]{1+4}.

After (org-babel-execute-buffer):

1 + 4 in R is src_R[:exports results]{1+4} {{{results(5)}}}.

After: (org-babel-map-inline-src-blocks nil (org-babel-remove-inline-result))

1 + 4 in R is src_R[:exports results]{1+4} .

After (org-babel-execute-buffer):

1 + 4 in R is src_R[:exports results]{1+4} {{{results(5)}}} .

And so on...

I see that the function docs says: Extraneous leading whitespace is
trimmed. Is this the intended result?

It is intended to remove `extraneous' whitespace. But the way
`extraneous' is operationalized leaves something to be desired if
users wish to do as you have done. Maybe preserving whitespace (if any)
after the result and deleting all that is before it might work.

I'll take a look at changing the defn to deal with your ECM.

Also, is there anything that prevents to make
org-babel-remove-inline-result interactive as is
org-babel-remove-result?

AFAICS, no.

Wwhy not have also
org-babel-remove-inline-result-one-or-many and
org-babel-remove-all-result-one-or-many to remove all the babel result
with one function call?

Easy enough, but is this really needed? What about call block/line results?

I do no not know lisp a lot, but I can try to submit a patch if you
agree that will be useful.

The main issue (IMO) is figuring out what whitespace to delete around
a `{{{results(...)}}}' macro. I can get to this in a day or so, but
feel free to send a patch.

Chuck