Re: [O] save folded state

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] save folded state
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:26:57 +0000

You mean programmatically? Is folding not just implemented with
invisible overlays? If so, why do you need to change this to get
context?

You can try setting buffer-invisibility-spec temporarily. For example,
run this function in a folded org-mode buffer.

(defun temp ()
  (interactive)
  (message "invisibility spec stuff")
  (let ((buffer-invisibility-spec '()))
    (message "sitting")
    (sit-for 5))
  (message "done"))

It unfolds everything but having the display engine ignore all
overlays/text properties.

If you want to do this interactively, and you will forgive the plug, my
own package, lentic, would enable you to do this. You can open up a
second buffer which has the same text as the first, but could be folded
completely independently of the original. At the moment, you only get
one copy, but I'll expand that to any number at some point. When you're
finished kill the copy, and all the changed folding goes with it.

Phil