Re: [O] [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:46:51 +0100

Hi,

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Now Rasmus comes and says:
>
>> I must admit that I feel uncomfortable because you use the name
>> org-mode to promote a product that does not respect the "4 freedoms"
>> as put forth by the FSF.  E.g. if you make mistakes, it may reflect
>> poorly on us, and we won't even be able to fix it or distribute
>> a version that is not broken if we so desired.  That's just /my/
>> personal opinion, though.
>
> which is a very well-thought, delicate way of saying that he doesn't
> like the situation.

> (Personally, I do not 100% agree with Rasmus' opinion, but I can see the
> rationale behind it.)

Fine with me!

Neven, whom I have exchange a couple of private emails with, is free to
distribute his software as he see fit.  What I explicitly quoted as being
uncomfortable was the association between his product with *org-mode*.
Note, the tag-line on Neven's site was something like "org-mode for
Android" up until this discussion.

I'm sure everybody is excited that his program is working with the *org
format*!

> Then others come and say some, ekhm, not-extremely-nice things to
> someone who was definitely not trolling or anything like this.

We should strive to keep the org-list friendly and civilized.

> Let us further assume that he will sell his book in bookstores (it might
> be in ebook form, with or without DRM, or in paper form - never mind, I
> do not know the exact details).  Would he be prohibited from mentioning
> his project (which clearly involves a non-free piece of *software*,
> i.e., the LaTeX source file, and promotes the *result* of executing this
> piece of code) on Emacs mailing list?  I am very interested in a serious
> answer, and (if it happens to be "no") in explanation how and why the
> situation would be different.

First, I don't have strong opinions on this.  However, as I recall there's
a passage on articles vs software in Free as in Freedom 2.0:

    http://shop.fsf.org/product/free-as-in-freedom-2/

Second, there's /nothing/ wrong with charging for e.g. binaries.  A few
Android programs that I use come to mind: Conversations, DAVDroid, OSMAnd,
OwnCloud News (correct me if I'm wrong on any of these; I don't have
iGoogles).

—Rasmus

--
Together we will make the possible totalllly impossible!