Re: [O] Lentic.0.6 and org mode

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] Lentic.0.6 and org mode
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:41:19 +0000

Thierry Banel <address@hidden> writes:

>> Of course, even when installed from Melpa it is self-documenting in the
>> sense that the source files are full of documentation. The lentic-org.el
>> file contains a description of how to convert an existing file from
>> being an normal el file to an "orgel" file (which is the name I have
>> given to an el file that converts cleanly to an org file with lentic).
>>
>> I could translate these to info (via org-mode and texinfo). But melpa
>> presents a challenge here, since it works on the source only, and I need
>> to generate the texinfo from the source, at least as far as I know. So,
>> unless, I can get MELPA to run arbitrary lisp during build, I do not
>> know how this would work. Or I could denormalise my git repo and
>> put the generated files in there; not ideal.
>>

> One possibility, not as good as info, but quite easy, is given by
> GitHub. Replace your current README.md with a README.org, in org-mode
> syntax.

Why this replacement? md or org should both work right? Or am I missing
something?

> Then tell Melpa that the Lentic home page is
> https://github.com/phillord/lentic.

I think it already has this.

> And begin this documentation with a "quick start" chapter.

I'm trying to avoid putting too much in README because it is already
documented in lentic and the other sources -- although, its clearly not
easy for people to find these.

For the next version, I will write some local tools to generate HTML
from source. Then I can expand the README to just point to those. And,
yes, an easy to find "quick-start" chapter would be good.

Phil