Re: [O] ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented

From: Fabrice Niessen
Subject: Re: [O] ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 23:19:10 +0100

Hello,

Andreas Leha wrote:
> Kodi Arfer <address@hidden> writes:
>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>> ob-core.el.
>>
>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>> great choice of name.)
>
> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)

They're not the same...

Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
refcard [1]:

- :results silent ::
     Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
     code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
     during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
     document).
     (default for Org and Screen code blocks)

- :results none ::
     Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
     a code block is run for its side effects.

Best regards,
Fabrice

[1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel

--