[O] Table formula and text properties

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: [O] Table formula and text properties
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:11:25 +0100

I am trying to insert an image into a table by using a table formula.
My basic approach is by using a string with a display property like:

  (propertize "TEXT" 'display (list image))

Or to be more precise

   (propertize "SPARKLINE" 'display
               (list (sparkline-make-sparkline
                        100 10
                           '(1 20 12 13 141 13 24 90))))

In which the `sparkline-make-sparkline' function returns an image.

Inserting the resulting string with `insert' into a buffer will ensure
the image is displayed.

However org mode table formula code seems to strip the display property
from the string returned by the formula.  So this trick will not work.

Is there a way to insert a calculated image into an org table?

Kind regards,
Wim Oudshoorn.