Re: [O] org tables into R?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org tables into R?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 00:38:44 +0100

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Nothing unwilling about it – I had been deliberately trying to generate a
> table with macros in it as the result of a babel block.  These macros are
> defined in the document, in order to encapsulate some fiddly typesetting
> which recurs very commonly.
>
> Shouldn’t this workflow be supported?

Note that Babel blocks are evaluated after macro expansion. As
a consequence, the workflow above is hardly useful, as it requires its
user to manually evaluate all blocks generating macros /before/
exporting the document.

If the workflow is not used and doesn't have intrinsic value, I don't
think we need to invent kludges to support it.

> In any case, the point is broader: the orgtbl-* functions cannot cope
> with macros in their input at all (not just in the context of babel).  I
> think the programmatic interface to org tables ought to be composable
> with macros.

orgtbl-* are not an API for tables, but converters.

My point is still valid: you don't have a real use-case, so just don't
bother.

Regards,