Re: [O] [BUG] [babel] [R] :colnames yes conflicts with :results file

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] [babel] [R] :colnames yes conflicts with :results file
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 06:01:02 -1000

Aloha Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think this is a bug as it is not clear what should happen.
> In the org manual it states concerning the :results file
>
> ,----
> |    * `file' The results will be interpreted as the path to a file, and
> |      will be inserted into the Org mode buffer as a file link.  E.g.,
> |      `:results value file'.
> `----
>
> But the :colnames only works on tables (i.e. :results table) - but the
> result is represented as a link to a file. So what should happen?

I think this is mistaken.  "Tables" occur in at least three contexts in
babel source code blocks.  There are input tables, :var mytable, there
are "tables" within the code block, represented in R as a dataframe or a
matrix, and there are output tables, which are placed in the Org mode
buffer as a result.

I use :colnames to keep the column names of input tables associated with
the "tables" within the code block, and typically have them represented
in the output, whether that is a "table" written to file, or output to
the Org mode buffer as an Org mode table, either by default or (more
rarely) through use of :results table.

In my experience :results table is mostly useful for coercing a value
that babel would otherwise interpret as a scalar into a single element
table.

> If you would like to have a table with links to files, the easiest is to
> put the file names into [[]] in R and then return them in a table - or
> use :results output and "draw" the table.
>
> But as it stands, these two header arguments do not go together.

Which two header arguments?  :results table file is contradictory, but
:colnames yes :results file is not, or should not be, IMHO.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye