Re: [O] iswitchb is deprecated

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] iswitchb is deprecated
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:54:53 +0100

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your comment.

Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:

> Since Emacs 24.4, iswitchb is marked as obsolete:

> This function is obsolete since 24.4;
> use `icomplete-mode' or `ido-mode' instead.
>
> Do people use `org-iswitchb' much?  If so, it might be time to get it to
> default to ido or icomplete.

First, there's already the variable org-completion-use-ido which also
affects org-switchb.  Second, I don't know if there's a point in
/removing/ the support for org-completion-use-iswitchb.  E.g. Debian still
has an old version of Emacs.

What you could do is make ido the default backend, especially if
icomplete-mode is obsolete.  E.g. in org-switchb you would edit this
statement to default to ido, preferably only if icomplete is obsolete:

(unless (or org-completion-use-ido org-completion-use-iswitchb)
      (setq org-completion-use-iswitchb t))

You could also update the docstring of `org-completion-use-iswitchb'.

See http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html for the details.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
However beautiful the theory, you should occasionally look at the evidence