Re: [O] Evaluating R source code line by line

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Evaluating R source code line by line
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 18:43:51 +0000

Hi,

I stand corrected.  (Should test before I send...)

Here is a reply I received from Ista which -- I think -- did not make it
to the list:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Andreas Leha
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Vikas,
>

> Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>>     For your use case, I would suggest adding print() calls in
>>     strategic
>>     places in your long-running code, which will appear in the R
>>     buffer to
>>     let you know how it’s progressing.
>>

>> I don’t quite understand everything you wrote. But this would be
>> helpful for my test case. Will use.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Vikas
>
> I am joining late.  I suspect that this can be configured on the ESS
> side rather than on orgmode's side.
>
> Take a look at ess-eval-visibly (but beware the performance loss).

I thought so too, but I don't think that's the case. This affects how
org-babel behaves with :results output, but not the behavior with
:results value. At least that's the case here with org 8.2.10

Running these two examples:

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results value :session *R*
  a <- 1
  b <- 2
  print(a + b)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 3

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results output :session *R*
  a <- 1
  b <- 2
  print(a + b)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: [1] 3

I see

+ + [1] 3

for the first one and

> a <- 1
b <- 2
print(a + b)
'org_babel_R_eoe'
a <- 1
> b <- 2
> print(a + b)
[1] 3
> 'org_babel_R_eoe'
[1] "org_babel_R_eoe"

for the second one. I have ess-eval-visibly set to t.

Best,
Ista