Re: [O] Patch to implement sorting Org tables by IP address

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [O] Patch to implement sorting Org tables by IP address
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:19:05 -0500

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 5:58 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> However I think the feature implemented is too specific. Instead,
> `org-do-sort' could provide a way to pass an arbitrary predicate,
> like ?f and ?F in `org-sort-list'.
>
> WDYT?

Actually, when I originally looked at org-do-sort, my first thought was that it
should be table driven. But this is my first patch and I’m the new kid so I
didn’t want to come in and start tearing down walls.

My idea for making it table driven is to add an alist whose elements look
something like

(prompt-char prompt extraction-function compare-function
reverse-compare-function with-case-extraction-function)

The alist would be initialized with the built-in options (including the IP
address sort) but a user could call add-to-list to add a custom sort to his or
her environment.

If the list agrees, I will resubmit the patch implementing what I’ve described.
As a procedural matter, should I submit it to this thread or add a new one?