Re: [O] demoting a heading inserts spaces in column-0 text

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] demoting a heading inserts spaces in column-0 text
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 19:25:25 +0100

Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> writes:

>   Of course everything's text, but if there's no distinction between
> drawers/headers and text, that's the problem. Those headers are metadata
> written and managed by org and must follow some rules,

This is incorrect.

:CLOCK: or :LOGBOOK: or whatever the value of `org-clock-into-drawer'
is, are regular drawers conveniently provided to collect clocks and
allow to hide them away. They have no special meaning in Org, and may
not even exist (i.e., when `org-clock-into-drawer' is nil). There is no
reason to treat them specially.

OTOH, clocks themselves are pure metadata. They could be indented
specifically, but since they are allowed anywhere in a section, it might
be dangerous to do so (e.g. it could break a list). Actually, this is
true for anything that need to appear at the very beginning of the
section, i.e., anything but planning info and properties drawers.

> whereas the rest of text is data typed by the user and relatively
> free. Those headers must even follow strict processes (like being
> "repaired" to make CLOCK appear after PROPERTIES)uà, so I wouldn't say
> they are normal text.

This is also wrong. PROPERTIES drawer, which is metadata, has to be
moved before anything else in the section (with the exception of
planning info). This has nothing to do with CLOCK drawers, which are not
even considered in the process.

>   So, I think org should detect its own syntax (:CLOCK: ... :END: etc.), and
> do automatic changes only to its own syntax, not to text typed by the user
> unless the user asks for it.

Again, :CLOCK:...:END: is user's decision, not Org's. So are all
drawers, but, of course, PROPERTIES. The latter is the exception, not
the rule.

Regards,