Re: [O] Emulating list functionality from traditional GUI editors

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Emulating list functionality from traditional GUI editors
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:34:12 -0500

Calvin Young writes:

* If the cursor is at the end of a list item, then "Return" should insert a new list item (i.e., automatically perform org-meta-return)

* If the cursor is at the beginning of an empty list item, then "Return" should outdent the list item (or remove it if it's already at the outer-most indentation level)

I am not sure that I understand this but I assume that you would obtain the same with <tab>. It goes back and forth between levels of list so if you have

- one
- two
 + a
 + CURSOR_HERE

and you hit <tab> then it changes to
- one
- two
 + a
   + CURSOR_HERE

and then two times <tab> (or S-<tab> from the beginning) changes it to

- one
- two
 + a
- CURSOR_HERE

* If the cursor is at the beginning of an empty list item, then "Backspace" should delete the list item and move my cursor to the end of the previous list item

I guess you could remap <backspace> to a function that checks if you are at the beginning of the list and when that is true it does what you want, otherwise it just calls `delete-backward-char'. But generally I would do C-a C-k <backspace>, just two more keystrokes.

* It'd be nice of these rules could be applied to checkboxes as well

M-S-<enter> inserts a check box.

Best,

--
Jorge.