Re: [O] Problem with links whose description looks like a link

From: Daniel Bausch
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with links whose description looks like a link
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:50:42 +0100

Hello and thanks for the answer!

> Daniel Bausch <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm using Org from Git master.  If I have a link like, e.g.
>>
>> [[file:somefile.c::int whatsoever][file:somefile.c::int whatsoever]]
>>
>> and a a file somefile.c with the lines
>>
>> int some;
>> int whatsoever;
>>
>> then opening the link with the cursor before the space jumps to the
>> first line, while opening the link on the word "whatsoever" jumps to the
>> second line.  It seems like Org detects a link within the link as if the
>> brackets were missing.
>
> This is correct.
>
> Org allows plain links (e.g. file:foo.org) within bracket links. This is
> the sole way to have, for example, an inline image as a link.

Hmm, ok, I understand the intention regarding the detection and display
of inline images as part of a link description; however, even for inline
images following the link jumps to the target of the outer link and not
the image itself -- as long as inline images are toggled on.  Without
showing inline images following the link opens the image regardless of
the original link target.

I think that the effective target of a link should never be affected by
its description.  Even fontification and mouse hovering info thinks that
the link still targets at its target, i.e. when hovering over the link
the whole link gets highlighted and not just the inner one and the
tooltip shows the whole target of the outer link, while clicking jumps
to the link contained within the description.

If there is a real application/need for nested links (besides inline
images used as part of link description) I would rather expect them to
be written explicitly by typing another pair of brackets nested within
the description; however, this syntax is currently not parsed as such.

Regards,
Daniel
--
MSc. Daniel Bausch