Re: [O] Repeated teaching classes and stopping date

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:09:31 +0000

On Thursday, 13 Nov 2014 at 09:26, Samuel Loury wrote:

[...]

> I like the idea of `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift', but wouldn't it
> make the parsing of the files slower?

Maybe but O(n)...  I doubt it would make much difference in practice
compared with parsing a complex date structure.

> I admit that in the example, this would not have a big impact since
> there would be only 9 entries. Nevertheless, I wonder if this can be
> considered as a general solution.

It's a solution that works well for the reasons given by others.  I use
it for all of my lectures and it turns out better than a single repeat
directive would because you can annotate each instance separately, not
to mention being able to easily remove lectures that might be cancelled
or change ones that may have a different location or time.  Etc.

> In my org files that sum up to 51425 lines (not taking into account the
> archives), the creation of the agendas takes minutes to generate. There

Minutes!  What version of org and what kind of system?

I have >35k lines in my org agenda files and generating an agenda on a 5
year old system takes seconds.  On my wee Pandora, it takes a minute or
so but this is a very slow system with slow SD cards...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-558-g83d8a2