Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working

From: Ista Zahn
Subject: Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:53:14 -0500

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Grant Rettke <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Ista Zahn <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Charles C. Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Andreas Leha wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> +1.
>>
>> +1 from me as well. For exactly the reason Andreas illustrated I've
>> given up on using inline results for the past year or so. Would be
>> great to see this feature become usable by implementing a system for
>> replacing them.
>
> My approach here has been to use "hidden" source blocks that aren't
> exported but make it
> really easy to see the result during development. These settings
> should work on any configuration,
> so I didn't include mine here.
>
> ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
> a = 10
> b = 23
> c = a + b
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :results output silent :exports none
> #+END_SRC
>
> The user calculated src_R{c}.
> ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
>
> When you use these functions
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Key-bindings-and-useful-functions.html#Key-bindings-and-useful-functions
> the addition of these "hidden" blocks hav almost zero cost and give me
> what I want.

The problem I have is not that I miss being able to see results of the
inline block in the org-mode buffer. The problem is that I don't want
blocks to be evaluated on export (too time consuming in many cases).
So I turn that off, and either evaluate the blocks one at a time (I'm
aware of the dangers of this, not my point here) or call
org-babel-execute-buffer. Everytime I do that I get duplicate output
from inline code. As far as I can see inline code +
org-babel-execute-buffer is incompatible, which is why I gave up on
the former.

Best,
Ista