Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 12:16:38 +0100

Andreas Leha wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> I disagree here.
>>
>> Though, this is what Eric Schulte wrote:
>>
>>   ┌────
>>   │ Currently inline blocks like don't associate themselves with their
>>   │ results, they are only expected to be evaluated on export.
>>   └────
>>
>> If things have changed, I'm not aware of it.
>>
>>> As limiting the use of inline code to eval-on-export-only renders
>>> all the org-babel-execute-subtree and related functionality useless.
>
> I have been using inline results for reports quite a bit, but not
> lately.  I might be wrong here, but from my memory they used to work
> (i.e. were replaceable) for a while (at least when 'wrapped') unless
> they were set to produce 'raw' results (which was a serious limitation
> and led me to change my workflow).
>
> PS: a quick check reveals that they are indeed not replaceable (even
> when wrapped)
>
> Nonetheless, from a literate programming perspective, I think that
> replaceable (and raw) inline results are definitely desirable.
> Regardless of the state of their implementation in orgmode right now.

FWIW, I'm not -- yet? -- convinced we should see the results of inline
code blocks inlined in the paragraph (and I'm not sure either it does
not cause interpretation problems); but, for sure, I'd love to be able
to preview the value interactively, at least.

> So, I do not doubt, that you and Nicolas are right with that
> replaceable inline results are not implemented and are -- from
> orgmodes perspective -- expected to be evaluated only during export.
>
> My message was meant more as a feature request saying that I consider
> replaceable inline results useful and would like to see them supported
> by org.

Could you better explain your statement: "Limiting the use of inline
code to eval-on-export-only renders all the org-babel-execute-subtree
and related functionality useless"?

I'm not sure to fully understand your use-case.  That'd certainly be
worth explaining why you think it must be changed in the first instance
if you'd like Eric or Nicolas (or someone else) to change that.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban