Re: [O] Avoid canceling of events which do have multiple time-stamps

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Avoid canceling of events which do have multiple time-stamps
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:31:05 -0500

Hi, Karl.

Karl Voit writes:

For other events, I do have one single "* Volleyball" heading and multiple time-stamps for each occurrence in its body. (method B) Unfortunately in the agenda view, both entries are visualized the same way. This is causing issues in certain cases. For example, when I see an event on my agenda and I know that I don't have time for it, I usually cancel the event right away in my agenda. However, when this time-stamp occured only in the body of a heading (method B), cancelling does cancel *all* occurrences. For example when I cancel "Volleyball" on the agenda of 2014-09-06, I'd cancel also 2014-08-30 (in the past) and 2014-09-13 (in the future).
And much worse: I do not notice my error.

There is a certain issue with this: how to determine whether or not a time-stamp is the only one or if it is mentioned in the heading itself.

I use several time stamps as well, but I use org-agenda-follow-mode by default (see the variable `org-agenda-start-with-follow-mode') so I can see the entry with its multiple entries before archiving or killing it.

Is there a clever way to differ the two methods so that we are able to come up with different visualizations?

In the case of something like Volleyball, perhaps you might want to look at habits: (info "(org) Tracking your habits")

Another option is to create subheadlines for each activity, and avoid multiple timestamps.

Best,

--

Jorge.