[O] M-S-up/down on plain lists containing text (or multilevel lists)

From: James Harkins
Subject: [O] M-S-up/down on plain lists containing text (or multilevel lists)
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 15:43:06 +0800

In plain lists, if there is indented text underneath a list item, is it
considered to "belong to" the list item, or is it just freestanding text?

I'm asking because M-S-up/down doesn't take indented text into account. These
commands only move the line marked with a list-item indicator ("-" etc.).

* Heading
  - List item 1
  - List item 2
    Indented text
  - List item 3

Position the point on "List item 2" and hit M-S-down. You'll get this, which
seems wrong to me:

* Heading
  - List item 1
    Indented text
  - List item 2
  - List item 3

I expected:

* Heading
  - List item 1
  - List item 3
  - List item 2
    Indented text

My opinion is that this is a bug, but it's also possible that I don't fully
understand how org interprets plain lists. It does seem that org has a concept
of indented text "belonging to" the list item, because you can use TAB to
collapse a list item containing indented text, but you can't use it on a list
item followed by non-indented text.

* Heading
  - List item 1: TAB can fold this item
    Indented text
  - List item 2: TAB displays a message in the minibuffer "EMPTY ENTRY"
Non-indented text
  - List item 3

I also see the same bizarre behavior of M-S-up/down if a list item has a
sub-list under it.

My org is up-to-date as of 10/15/2014.

hjh