Re: [O] Anyone using or interested in an org to Rmarkdown exporter?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Anyone using or interested in an org to Rmarkdown exporter?
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:37:45 +0100

Grant Rettke <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Grant,

> Last week I started learning about [RMarkdown]. It is a [literate
> programming] tool implemented in, and for, the [ℝ programming
> language]. Although I haven't dug in deep yet, I do know that (1) it is
> /basically/ [Markdown] and that (2) `org' exports both to [vanilla
> markdown] and also [GitHub flavored Markdown] and that (3) a lot of my
> peers use `RMarkdown' and not `org'. With that that in mind I got
> curious about what it would take to write an `org2rmarkdown' exporter.
>
> The scope of my interest is one-time exports for the most basic and
> simple `org' document. As such, right now I have no requirements beyond
> thinking about the opportunity. After doing some Internet searches,
> there does not seem to be an exporter right now. Questions:
>
> • Does one exist and I missed it?
> • Do you have any interest in such an exporter?
> • Has anyone else ever thought of doing this? If yes, why didn't you?
> • My guess is that doing an exporter that [builds on an existing
>   exporter], mentioned above, would be a great start. Thoughts?
>   • The big difference seems to be control statements passed to the
>     interpreter, which may or may not be necessary to convert. If not,
>     than the *stock* `markdown' exporter would provide everything
>
> Kind regards,

what would acutally be the benefit of using RMarkdown over Org-mode, or
put it another way - when you already use RMarkdown, why do you need
Org-mode too? And if you use Org-mode, what does RMarkdown add to the
table?

And then there is Outshine too, which lets you switch seemlessly switch
between ESS[R] and Org-mode, so you can program in R-mode, and write and
export in Org-ode, as well as other LP modes like the old (now
overhauled) ESS multi-mode and a new multi-mode developed by Phillip
Lord, so one needs reasons to add just another tool to the tool stack IMO.

--
cheers,
Thorsten